Each time you visit your dentist, you are always reminded to brush and floss regularly. And although brushing the teeth has become a non-negotiable part of our daily routine, some people are still on the fence about making flossing a priority. Flossing is known to be effective in dislodging pieces of food stuck between the teeth, but it still does so much more. Below are a few more reasons why flossing is a must for cleaning the teeth.
1. Flossing helps prevents gingivitis. Gingivitis is the inflammation of the gums and can be painful. Its symptoms include swollen gums and bleeding. One of the easiest ways to prevent this condition from developing is to regularly floss, which is effective in removing plaque buildup that causes gingivitis.
2. Flossing helps control diabetes. When you do not floss, bacteria in the mouth proliferate quickly. Oral bacteria affects the blood’s glucose level, a big problem among people with diabetes. Flossing at least once daily can remove a big amount of bacteria from the mouth and help stabilize glucose levels.
3. Flossing helps prevent bad breath. Brushing twice daily and using a good mouthwash can help curb bad breath, but the buildup of tartar can cause a really bad smell. Effectively remove tartar by adding flossing into your dental care routine, as it is able to reach the areas in between teeth. People with bad breath and started flossing have noted significant improvement in their breath in just a week.
4. Flossing helps prevent respiratory disease. Our mouth is a direct pathway to the other organs of the body. This can be a problem if bacteria from the mouth reaches your throat and travels to your respiratory system. With flossing, some oral bacteria that causes bronchitis and pneumonia can be eliminated.
5. Flossing helps prevent heart disease. People who floss notice that their gums bleed, a classic sign of gingivitis. This can be a problem because bacteria can enter your bloodstream and wreak havoc to the other organs of your body. Eventually, this can lead to blood clots and heart disease and many other problems.
Indeed, flossing is a great and effective way to remove food stuck in between teeth and carries with it so many health benefits. Regular flossing can help prevent gingivitis, bad breath, diabetes, respiratory ailments and even heart disease. With all the benefits listed above, there is not more reason for you to make flossing a daily habit.